Monday, October 6, 2008

Ramble, ramble, ramble

Wow. Huh. September was kind of a slim month for posting, wasn't it? I'll try to do better this month.

Frankly, I was going to just wait until tomorrow to post 'Something Of Note' but I'm impatient and not likely to remember to take pictures of the thing I wish to post tonight anyway, so I'm just going to start here.

As most (if not all) of you know, I've started -- or restarted -- a Story a Day blog. We few, we happy few, we band of writers write to a posted title every few days currently and every single day eventually. One of today's stories contained the observation that humans are adaptable creatures and I was struck anew both by 'how true, how true' and by the fact that our very adaptability can sometimes get us into trouble. Sometimes there are things we should not adapt to: abuse, injustice, low expectations, 80s fashion... Sometimes we force ourselves to adapt, to make the best of a bad situation and then when the situation is resolved in the way we always hoped it would be, we're disgruntled because we've gotten used to the other and change is annoying. 'Now I have to adapt AGAIN,' we complain. But we do it. We find ways. We bend, to use a cliche, because those who don't bend, break.

Perhaps we adapt so notoriously because we're never fully content. Sure, we say, I've got a good thing going, but there's a possibility it's not the right good thing. So we'll try out this new situation, wriggle ourselves in to see if it fits, take a few tucks here and there, lift the hem an inch or two, cinch the belt tight so it doesn't fall off. We give verve to ill-fitting situations, carrying them off with panache.

I don't really have a point here, I'm just pondering. Just wondering if the adaptability we're so gosh darn, yeehaw proud of is really a good thing...or the thing that will ultimately destroy us all.

No comments: