Friday, October 10, 2008

Flash of genius

Fine, not genius. My muse has finally popped in for a visit, though. She only came by to drop something off, but I have her word that she'll be back and her offering is in good faith of future longer visits.

I had only the vaguest idea of what my options were for this year's NaNo novel and I wasn't really satisfied with any of them. I mean, I could write a short story about a million different things, but to keep something up for 50,000 words? I believe the word daunting was invented for situations such as these.

There was this one idea, though. I really liked the thought of it, but I wanted to do a little more research. I wanted to figure out where it might go. I needed to figure out more than just the main character's occupation. So I just let it drift in with the crowd of other truncated ideas floating around up there in my belfry.

Yesterday, I decided that I needed to start seriously thinking and planning. Last year a lot of my book was just me reiterating thoughts that I or those I know have had during clinical depression. I didn't do a lot of research--which is why my scenes in the police station were inspired by episodes of Law and Order and C.S.I. Anyway, this year will require something a bit more.

Thus I committed to that vague idea, originally inspired by a dream and now bearing no likeness to the original. I sat down to start a notes list--I only had one thing, but I figured I could add to it over the next few weeks. After just five minutes, I now have the main character list, how her family will work, what the male lead does for a living, pitfalls to look out for, modes of dress, and an actual framework for the story.

Seems this story might actually WANT to be written! That's a relief.

I might be asking for help with a title a little further into the process and I'll give you a brief synopsis then. For right now, though, I'm just baking scones for the muse's next visit.

No comments: