Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Flowers, wasps, and other such things

Last Friday, the local farmer's market opened for the year. Last Saturday, I went for the first time this season. I had grand plans of picture taking, bouquet buying, sour cherry strudel eating...*dreamy sigh*

Alas, I left my camera behind, arrived far too late to buy the Hungarian lady's strudel (it goes quite swiftly), and the only bouquets left were of dainty daffodils I didn't want to pay for. So I contented myself instead with a delicious half loaf of French bread with yummy garlic spread, four pots of flowers, and a planter pre-massed with flowers. Not terribly difficult to be content with that lot, I must say.

All but the garlic bread now make their home on my balcony, the first stage in my annual "garden." Which would be nothing but enjoyable if not for the also annual innundation of yellow jackets. I've asked the apartment complex in the past to please take care of the wasp problem. "Oh, yes, they are all over, aren't they?" the staff replies. "Have you tried going out early in the morning or after the sun sets and knocking down the nests?" Well, no. I can't reach the nests. I might try them again this year, but I may have to resort to other methods. If you have any wasp-eradicating suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Otherwise, it's lovely to have a proper spring again. The last few years seemed to jump directly from winter into summer, from 30s to 80s with perhaps only a week in between. This year is far more moderate, which gives me hope for autumn as well. I live in Michigan because I LIKE having all four seasons. I resent the loss of my two favorites. (Leaving aside any philosophical argument about how part of why they're my favorites is precisely their fleeting nature).

And speaking of flowers and spring and all that, if you weren't already aware of it, I've begun a photo blog. The explanation can be found in the original post on the page, but suffice to say that I'm posting a picture (at least--often more) every day for the next year. Suggestions for shots are always welcome. Right now, you'll probably notice I have several shots of flowers, but there are plenty of pictures of other things as well. Do go take a look!

No comments: