Thursday, April 30, 2009

Random words

Mellifluous
Pronunciation:\me-ˈli-flə-wəs, mə-\
Function:adjective
Etymology:Middle English mellyfluous, from Late Latin mellifluus, from Latin mell-, mel honey + fluere to flow; akin to Gothic milith honey, Greek melit-, meli
Date:15th century
1 : having a smooth rich flow [a mellifluous voice]
2 : filled with something (as honey) that sweetens


Susurrus
Pronunciation:\su̇-ˈsər-əs, -ˈsə-rəs\
Function:noun
Etymology:Latin, hum, whisper
Date:1826
: a whispering or rustling sound

1 comment:

Jon said...

Both of those words leave me a little melancholy for all those years of Latin I took... even now, ages later, I remember the root words with a bit of fondness. Translations were never my strong point, and I don't think my teachers were always amused by my "creative" translations... good times.